Closing Conference: The Secret Police and Study of Religions: Archives, Communities and Contested Memories in Central and Eastern Europe
9 March 2021
Closing Conference of the European Research Council Project: Creative Agency and Religious Minorities: ‘Hidden Galleries’ in the Secret Police Archives in Central and Eastern Europe
The team of the Hidden Galleries Project invites us to a two-day closing conference entitled The Secret Police and Study of Religions: Archives, Communities and Contested Memories in Central and Eastern Europe on 18-19 March 2021.
The event will be organized online.
The conference will draw together a broad range of interdisciplinary concerns that are at the core of the project including:
• Theoretical and methodological approaches to texts, images, archives and materiality
• Developments in the anthropology of religion in Central and Eastern Europe
• Descendent communities and contested memories in Post-communism
• Case studies on the religious underground – lived realities, repressive operations, anti-religious propaganda
• Religion and communism in museums, galleries and the digital world
Truth and Memory: The Twin Perils of Secret Archives – Lavinia Stan (St. Francis Xavier University, Canada)
Archival Hybridity – Cristina Vățulescu (New York University)
Anthropology and the Religious Imaginary of the Past – Catherine Wanner (Pennsylvania State University)
Read more at: hiddengalleries.eu